Friday, March 21, 2008

News to me...

Gay Fans Cite Hostile Garden Atmosphere

As a 40 year season ticket holder, I have to say that I have never been able to decipher the "Homo Larry" chant when this bald, heavyset guy gets up to dance (pretty much like an idiot). But the fans get a kick out of it (the dance, not necessarily the chant), so what the heck. Over the years, however, I have experienced a great deal of obscenity, physical intimidation, pot smoking and just plain worse than boorish behavior (especially from Flyers fans) during hockey games - virtually ALL of which has been eliminated over the last 10 years or so by much better security and the no smoking (at all anywhere) policies.

So for my almost $200 per seat per game - $14,000+ per season - I am perfectly willing to experience better security; but I will not tolerate a sensitivity lesson - that's not what hockey fans are about, folks. Nobody should feel intimidated at a sporting event; but neither should they expect the Mr. Rodgers Show. As the man said, "For God's sake, it's a hockey game!"

No comments: