Friday, December 5, 2008

Megan McArdle

Doctor, doctor:
"The observation that some people are jerks, and that jerkiness does not enhance performance, is not exactly surprising. What I want to know is whether disruptive doctors actually account for a notable percentage of medical errors. I'm sure if you surveyed doctors, 20% or so could report an error caused by a lazy LPN, incompetent PA, or pigheaded nurse. But I'm skeptical that 'nurse pigheadedness' is actually a major problem that America's healthcare system needs to address."

I don't know. I've sure run into some pretty nasty nurses along the way..... And no offense to some of my closest friends; but I believe that doctors, in general, are a fairly arrogant, self-assured bunch (not that it is always a bad thing when lives hang in the balance). Let's face it, it usually takes a very bright soul to become a physician, and most of them know it and show it. Then, along the way, their medical education teaches them that they are as close to gods as mortals can be. What do you expect? Would you want to be treated by a doctor who wasn't very sure about him/herself?

Shit! I hate these "life is a two way street" scenarios.....

No comments: